Friday, October 15, 2010

Nov 7, 2009

**Warning: This is a really long post but I promise you'll get a laugh out of it if you stick it out!**
Good morning ladies! A few weeks ago I mentioned that Mr. got a new truck, and in that post I also mentioned that I didn't want to get stuck on top of the mountain again.. Yes, again, this year! So I thought that I'd take the time today to tell you all that story! :)

It was Nov. 7, 2009, Mr. had proposed the night before & we were headed to his sisters house to celebrate his nieces birthday. Now keep in mind that only one of his siblings knew that we were engaged out of 4 & his parents did not know. So we got up around 8am and loaded up the truck we were moving a long quite nicely. Well his sister lives 3 hours away and we have to go over a mountain to get to her house.

Mt. Hood Pictures, Images and Photos

Mt. Hood typically has snow from October to April - so we knew that the pass could be bad and that the best plan of attack was to take the truck because it had four wheel drive. We'd been on the road for about an hour & half when we began to make the climb on the mountain. We were about 45 minutes out of cell range when the following conversation occurs:
Mr: Oh Shit.
Me: What?
Mr: I just lost my power steering...!
Me: That's not funny.
Mr: Yeah, it wouldn't be if I were kidding.
Me: Seriously?
Mr: Yes! I have NO power steering right now.
Mr: Seriously, calm down. We're not going to die.
So we find a place to pull over after going around a few corners & Mr. says that the belt came off but he has an extra.. Then he explains that he's going to need my help putting it on.. The following conversation occured:

Me: I don't even have a coat!! I'm in heels.. Are you KIDDING?!
Mr: No, I'm not kidding. If you want to go anywhere today I'm going to need help.

So, I get out and freeze my ass off to try to help - and i'm not strong enough. THANKFULLY this sweet couple pulled over to help & they had tools! YAY!!

So we finally get the belt back on & Mr. gets in the car & says:

Mr: I think we should keep going.
Me: Then you're going on your own. I'll hitch hike back to town. Don't test me.
Mr: We're half way there.
Me: Ya, and only 10 minutes from a store down the Mt that has a phone so we can call AAA!!
Mr: I think we'll be fine.
Me: You're nuts! I'm not going to risk getting stuck at the top of the mt with no way down.
Mr: Fine.

So he turns around & heads back down the mountain.

Maybe a mile later the belt flies off again... 
He puts it back on.
Another mile - it's off again.
He puts it back on.
Another mile - it's off again.
So he decides we'll drive down the Mt. without the belt until we can get to the store. We get it back on at the store and maybe 100 yards from the store it flies back off.

I cry. Like sobbing. I walk back to the store - in heels, in the snow - & call my daddy from the store. The conversation went a little like this:

Me: Daddy, can you come get me!? We're stuck on top of the Mt - Mr.'s truck broke.
Daddy: I'm on my way to a football game. I'm not coming to get you. 
Me (sobbing): Football is more important than your daughter stuck on the Mt.?
Daddy (laughing): You're with Mr. - you're fine!
I walk back to the truck & Mr. says that we'll just drive the 45 min to the next town with out the belt.. 
I'm game. The next town has cell service & we can call AAA.

An hour & a half later we arrive in the town of Zig Zag. It took us so long because we drove approx 2 mph in the emergency lane with the AC on in the dead of winter to keep the truck from over heating with out the belt! Ya, I was not happy.

We pull over and call AAA and they tell us the tow truck will arrive in about an hour. So we decided to eat at Subway and wait in there where it was warm. 
While we're waiting I call Mr.'s sister so she knows what is going on considering we should have made it to their house about an hour earlier. 

She then sends me a text that said something like "M (mr's niece) says it's okay if you can't make it. She understands and doesn't want you driving if it's not safe!" M is only 7! I cried - like sobbing uncontrollably & wrote back to assure her we'd be there even if it took us all night (which it did).
Finally the tow truck arrived and we loaded up the truck to tow it home. About an hour later we made it home. We transferred everything from the truck to my car, went potty, and hit the road - again! It was now like 130pm.
We made it about 2 hours when Mr. decided he should pull off and put my chains on because the roads were getting bad. 

I got out too and tried to help him for about 10 min when I finally realized I wasn't helping and decided it would be best for me to just sit in the car and stay warm. So Mr. is still working hard to get the first chain on when I realize that there is a snow plow coming and shooting the snow directly at us! I tried so hard to get Mr.'s attention but he kept working. The snow plow finally reached us & shot snow directly on him. He had snow in his ears! He was soaking wet & he looks up to see me in the car laughing so hard that I'm crying! 

I guess he didn't find it so funny.

So he gave up on the chains and we got back on the road. The rest of the trip was smooth and we made it to his sisters around 7pm. They had dinner & drinks ready for us when we walked in the door. 

The rest of the story will have to be continued Monday - how his family found out we were engaged! :)
Hope you all have a great weekend!


  1. Such an adorable, funny story!! :) Can't wait to hear the next part!!!